Newbie question : kernel-package vs perl5

(I originally posted this message in the debian newsgroup, but
figured a lot of people would read the list and not the group, so I'm
reposting here. Sorry for all of you who read this twice.)

Using slink, I'm trying to install kernel-package v. 6.21. My problem
is that dselect will not let me install it, saying that it depends on the
perl5 package.

Perl *is* installed (Perl 5.004.04-7), but the package name in the list is
"perl", not "perl5".

How can I convince dselect that perl and perl5 are one and the same?

Thanks, Dan.