Re: Newbie question : kernel-package vs perl5

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 04:28:35PM -0400, dlesage@atrion.ca wrote:

> (I originally posted this message in the debian newsgroup, but
> figured a lot of people would read the list and not the group, so I'm
> reposting here. Sorry for all of you who read this twice.)
>
> Using slink, I'm trying to install kernel-package v. 6.21. My problem
> is that dselect will not let me install it, saying that it depends on the
> perl5 package.
>
> Perl *is* installed (Perl 5.004.04-7), but the package name in the list is
> "perl", not "perl5".

Yet another victim of the Great Perl Upgrade (TM) :-)  Grab the source
to kernel-package (apt-get source kernel-package works, but I can't
remember if that feature is in the slink release of APT. If not,
grab the .dsc, .diff.gz, and .tar.gz from your nearest Debian mirror)
Edit the debian/control file and change the perl5 depends to 'perl'.
Type "debian/rules binary" and install the resulting package. Learning
how to rebuild a Debian package from source can be a great asset,
especially if you intend to use potato packages (where some of
the core system libraries, like libc and libstdc++ have been
upgraded) with slink.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com