Re: Where is kernel 2.2.0?

On 03 Feb 1999q, E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:
> Anthony replied:
> > What is the point of doing this? I've always compiled my own kernels from
> > source, in both RedHat and Debian, and never felt the need to use either
> > .rpm or .deb versions. Perhaps it's because I don't use lilo but prefer
> > loadlin.
>
> I also use loadlin.  The nice thing I find about make-kpkg is that it
> automates a number of steps you have to take in the right order,
> especially if you are using modules.  It also makes it rather simple to
> keep a few kernels around with their modules if you are trying to get
> certain hardware working (mostly sound cards for me), or if you feel
> like trying new kernel versions.
>
> Eric Meijer

I don't use modules, so perhaps that's the difference. Trying a new kernel
is then as easy as changing the name in the batch file from which I boot
linux. I probably would use modules if I wanted a sound card to work but I
don't - in fact, I've even wired my speaker through the turbo switch so
it's off most of the time!

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)