Re: Can I block _only_ privileged access with ipchains?

dmartin@clifton-labs.com (Dale E. Martin) writes:

> I want my firewall to allow access from unprivileged ports to unprivileged
> ports.  So, if I connect to an ftp site on a port above 1023 and my client
> is using a port above 1023, the packets are allowed to cross.
>
> Possible?  I can find anything about it in the docs.  Any other comments?

If you're using Linux 2.2, I've put up a document at

     http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/doc/homefirewall.html

that describes the setup I've got to allow this sort of thing.
Consider this the pre-release announcement; I've still got a bit of
clean-up work to do on it, but it's basically finished.

If you're running Linux 2.0, check the ipfwadm(8) man page; my docs
might still be of use.

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS