Re: Where is kernel 2.2.0?

> On 02 Feb 1999q, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
> >
> > 'Fraid I can't help you with that. I usually just download the raw
> > kernel source and use make-kpkg to get a kernel-image*.deb. I've never
> > had a need to build the kernel-source and kernel-headers
> > packages. You'll have to rely on one of the maintainers of those
> > packages to answer that question.

Anthony replied:
> What is the point of doing this? I've always compiled my own kernels from
> source, in both RedHat and Debian, and never felt the need to use either
> .rpm or .deb versions. Perhaps it's because I don't use lilo but prefer
> loadlin.

I also use loadlin.  The nice thing I find about make-kpkg is that it
automates a number of steps you have to take in the right order,
especially if you are using modules.  It also makes it rather simple to
keep a few kernels around with their modules if you are trying to get
certain hardware working (mostly sound cards for me), or if you feel
like trying new kernel versions.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032