Re: Need advice

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Don Cavaiani wrote:

doncma >I went into xf86config (several tries) and tried to configure the
doncma >Xserver according to my hardware.  I have some unusual hardware and I'm
doncma >wondering if I will be able to get it all to work ??

What version of X? if your using debian use dpkg -l | grep X
.. hopefully your using 3.3.5, which requires a manual update since its
not part of 2.1r3 (it may be part of 2.1r4 not sure), if your connected to
the network and need to update X, add this line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list :

deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main

then do an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade and you got the new X.  then
try to use XF86Setup as it is easier(at least for me) to configure.  SIS
is rather obscure and probably wont work on anythign less then 3.3.5,
check www.xfree86.org for a list of supported chipsets.

doncma >not seem to work at that point and I don't know what to do within the
doncma >window.  There is "no where to go".

sounds like xbanner .. no login box there?(X display manager) sounds like
its just misconfigured, drop to a shell (CTRL+ALT+F1) and login as root
and delete the file /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm (or move it, its a symlink so
deleting it wont hurt anything), then use the command 'startx' to test
your X configuration, ifit screws up at least you can most of the time hit
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to nuke the X server.

doncma >I have a Super Socket 7 and AMD 300MHz mainboard (PCCHIPS).  There is an
doncma >on-board SiS video chip (6326) with 8MB memory.  I have tried to pick
doncma >the only SiS video card listed but the model# is not the same.  I have
doncma >also tried the generic VGA and the unsupported VGA.  The SuperProbe says
doncma >it is Super-VGA, Tseng ...., 0kb memory and Generic 8-bit pseudo-color
doncma >DAC.  Also, an issue down the road might be the on-board sound chip from
doncma >C-media.

sounds like that board uses UMA(Unified memory arch), it would also
probably be best if you added this line to /etc/lilo.conf :

append="mem=##M"

where ## is equal to <system memory> - 8MB. to make sure that memory is
set aside when the system boots.  unless your planning on running 3D you
probably only need 4MB of videoram most of those boards have a bios
setting to drop the allocated ram to 4MB or 2MB or 1MB.  SIS 3D is not
supported as far as i know.

doncma >Finally, I have added an ATX Form Card that has a P/S2 mouse connection
doncma >and two USB ports.  I have the mouse connected there and I chose #4 for
doncma >P/S mouse on the configuration(also choose /dev/mouse rather than
doncma >ttyS0.  The modem works fine on ttyS1.

make sure the kernel has PS/2 support, when booting you should see
something that looks like this if it does:

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.

(or type dmesg | grep PS)

or if the kernel is not static(like mine) then type lsmod, it will show
you what modules are installed, i believe the module you would want is
called 'psaux' and the mouse device you will most likely be using for a
ps/2 port is /dev/psaux (/dev/mouse is usually a link)

hope this helps

nate

doncma >
doncma >Any suggestions would be helpful.
doncma >
doncma >Thanks,
doncma >Don
doncma >