Burning CDs in Linux

I just got the new Yamaha 6x4x16x CD-RW and can't seem to burn a CD.  It
always error out with what looks like a buffer problem.  My machine is
all SCSI, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I do a CD to CD burn or
make an image and burn that from the HD.  It always errors out.  I am
able to burn CDs in windows at 4x (should be able at 6x, but it errors
out with buffer under-run issues), and I hate the idea that windows can
do something my linux box can't.  I don't want to have to boot to it
every time I want to burn a CD.  So, does anyone know of anything to try
to get this burner to work?  Has anyone gotten one working?  I've tried
using xcdroast and mkisofs and cdrecord by themselves with the same
results, unfortunately.  Is it possible that there isn't a compatible
driver in cdrecord for this burner yet?  Any help would be very
appreciated.

Rob