Need advice

Greetings Wise Debian Users,

I am having some trouble getting Xserver to work on my PC.

I downloaded the base file to my WIN98 partition.  I got the basic
system to work.  I got the modem to work and downloaded the 189MB for
the Workstation profile(incl. web, etc.)

I installed LILO and I can dual boot now without the floppy boot disk.

I went into xf86config (several tries) and tried to configure the
Xserver according to my hardware.  I have some unusual hardware and I'm
wondering if I will be able to get it all to work ??

When I start up the system in Linux now, I get an X window.  It has the
Debian LOGO on top but the font is quite large and doesn't really fit.
There are a few executed commands shown below the logo.  The mouse does
not seem to work at that point and I don't know what to do within the
window.  There is "no where to go".

I have a Super Socket 7 and AMD 300MHz mainboard (PCCHIPS).  There is an
on-board SiS video chip (6326) with 8MB memory.  I have tried to pick
the only SiS video card listed but the model# is not the same.  I have
also tried the generic VGA and the unsupported VGA.  The SuperProbe says
it is Super-VGA, Tseng ...., 0kb memory and Generic 8-bit pseudo-color
DAC.  Also, an issue down the road might be the on-board sound chip from
C-media.

Finally, I have added an ATX Form Card that has a P/S2 mouse connection
and two USB ports.  I have the mouse connected there and I chose #4 for
P/S mouse on the configuration(also choose /dev/mouse rather than
ttyS0.  The modem works fine on ttyS1.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Don