What are glibc2.X, libc5 and 6?

What's the purpose of these files? And is the older version of glibc
(version 2.0, right?) synonymous with libc5, and the newer version of glibc
(2.2?) synonymous with libc6?

I'm a little confused because I thought my system was pretty up-to-date, but
when I tried to remove libc5, dselect wanted to blow away Netscape, which is
a relatively new program.

--
David J. Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu

"Humans have an innate tendency to attribute significance to anomalies
and coincidences."
  -- John Allen Paulos, mathematics professor at Temple University