Re: What are glibc2.X, libc5 and 6?

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 02:09:20AM -0600, David J. Kanter wrote:
> What's the purpose of these files? And is the older version of glibc
> (version 2.0, right?) synonymous with libc5, and the newer version of glibc
> (2.2?) synonymous with libc6?

2.0 == libc5, 2.1 == glibc , 2.2 == ¿

> I'm a little confused because I thought my system was pretty up-to-date, but
> when I tried to remove libc5, dselect wanted to blow away Netscape, which is
> a relatively new program.

Yes, but Netscape is built against the older C library. That's why you
need it. Mozilla is built against the new C library, but it's not fully
functional yet :-(

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |