Troubles with moving /var

The  / partition on my home PC is fairly small and sometimes gets filled
up because ov /var, so I've  decided to  migrate /var somewhere else.

I have /usr and /home as separate partitions and would like to leave /usr
alone, thus putting /var under /home, which is quite large and nearly
unused (it's just a home PC, and use it to connect to the 'real' one at
work).

Q: Which is the correct way to do this?

I actually did it "by hand", by tar-ing /var, copying it under /home and
untaring it there. Then deleting /var and symlinking /home/var to /var.

But I guess this is something VERY BAD as I ended up with lots of problems
with PERMISSIONS. Now normal users CANNOT write into directories under
/var,  like /var/log or /var/lock, so I get lots of troubles of any
kind...

Alberto.