Re: Interface to NT, mount? Samba? Rumba?

    clark> I have Debian Linux and NT installed on my laptop. I would
    clark> like to be able to transfer files from one partition to
    clark> another. More generally, I would like to be able to move
    clark> files from any NT machine on my network to any Linux
    clark> machine on my network.

These are two completely separate tasks, depending on whether you have
separate Windows/Linux partitions on your local harddrive, or you want
to share files over the network.

  - To access VFAT or NTFS partitions on your local harddrive, you
    need a kernel with "vfat" and/or "ntfs" support (or corresponding
    kernel modules).

  - To access Windows Network Neighborhood network drives, use
    "smbfs" (which consists of kernel support for "smbfs", as well
    as a user-space "smbmount" utility), or "smbclient" (which is
    part of Samba).
    ("apt-get install smbfs smbclient")

  - To allow Windows to natively see Linux partitions on your local
    machine, use the "ext2fs" utility for Windows 95/98, or a similar
    utility whose name escapes me for Windows NT.

  - To allow Windows to see Linux network shares, use SAMBA.
    ("apt-get install samba").

    clark> My version of Linux does not support NTFS (I wonder how
    clark> NT2000 is going to format drives?) Is there a version of
    clark> Linux which supports NTFS, via the mount command. I would
    clark> like to be able to read, write and compare timestamps.

The default Debian 2.1 kernel comes with a "ntfs" module, that can be
autoloaded by inserting the following line in /etc/modules:

    auto

After insterting the line, run /etc/init.d/modutils.  Now you can:

    mount -t ntfs /dev/<windows-partition> /mnt

    clark> A friend of mine mentioned Rumba as a solution. I took a
    clark> brief look at the Rumba page, it looks simular to
    clark> Samba. Could rumba let me move files around with no
    clark> problem. Is this practical? Has anyone done anything
    clark> similar?

Rumba used to be the opposite of Samba - a SMB/CIFS client that
allowed you to mount Windows Network Neighborhood shares.  It was
discontinued, because the author went ahead and created a commercial
version with a different name.

For Linux, "rumba" never had any use, because the native 'smbfs'
kernel support takes care of this feature.  Rumba was mostly for other
UNIX systems.   Also, nowadays there is the "smbsh" utility, which is
really a wrapper around "smbclient" (provided in Samba) - replacing
the need for Rumba also on these other systems.

-tor