Re: HP Deskjet 880C

Quoting Sean Johnson (snmjohnson@iclub.org):
> I use an HP Deskjet 890c, and haven't had any problems. I've been using
> the
> 550c print filter, which tends to go a bit heavy on the ink, and the
> color
> quality isn't great, but I hardly ever print color. I think there is a
> filter
> out there specifically for the 8xx series, but I've lost the url and
> haven't
> gotten around to digging it up again.

I'll just paste this back in (and I've deleted the original query):

--8<--------

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:40:51 +0100
Subject: Re: HP 890C printing

I use one or two extra options with my 895c, but also run it through
lpr/magic-filter so you'll have to extract the parameters from my
gs-aladdin filter file:

# PostScript

0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain \
-sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain \
-sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

# PDF

0       %PDF            fpipe   /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE \
-r300 -sDEVICE=hpdj -sModel=unspec -sColorMode=CMYK -sMediaType=plain\
 -sPrintQuality=draft -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" $FILE 3>&1 1>&2

I find the dj550c filter suggested earlier is far too inky. Change
draft to normal or best (and set up two queues) if you find draft
is *too* light. The last saves a lot of ink, though.

(One day I'll sit down and try to parse all that output redirection!)

Cheers,