Re: disabling remount ro on errors

william wiled,

> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 12:06:12PM -0600, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:

> > Yesterday was the first sunday in a month that my hardrive didn't
> > switch to ro due to errors on the weekly cron run. The remount as ro
> > both stops incoming mail, and makes it impossible to telnet in to fix
> > it.

> Did you run fsck on the filesystem?  The cron job triggering the problem
> might be something like updatedb that touches everything on the disk.
> Fix the filesystem and the problem will go away.

oh, yes.  I fsck, and I fsck.   This throws off bad sector errors.  I'm
convinced the underlying problem is hardware, both from the funny
sounds the drive makes and the patterns in which the errors occur.

> > I successfully installed onto a replacement drive, but for whatever
> > reason, I can't get the network functioning--even after copying /etc
> > and /lib from the old system (freebsd can't reach the network, either).
> >  It's a tulip card, and we have a single incoming ip with switches
> > rather than real subnets (ie, I talk directly to *.*.1.1 as my router).

> Is the kernel and all its modules properly copied over?

they should be.  I did a clean install onto this disk.  The old disk
ran for months with the stock kernel.  When it wouldn't talk to the
network, I cp -R'd /etc and /lib from the old drive.

> > If I edit out the "remount=ro" from /etc/fstab, and remove the weekly
> > cron file, is my system likely to keep running?  I know I'm playing
> > with fire, but the remount is catastrophic.

> So is continuing with the errors.

yes.  There's no good choice here.  The good news is that I'll get a
hand-me-down machine at the beginning of next semester.

rick

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu