Re: disabling remount ro on errors

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:55:11PM -0600, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:
> > Did you run fsck on the filesystem?  The cron job triggering the problem
> > might be something like updatedb that touches everything on the disk.
> > Fix the filesystem and the problem will go away.
>
> oh, yes.  I fsck, and I fsck.   This throws off bad sector errors.  I'm
> convinced the underlying problem is hardware, both from the funny
> sounds the drive makes and the patterns in which the errors occur.

Bad blocks would do it.  Reformatting the partitions affected is one way
to fix the problem (when you overwrite the disk block, the drive will
substitute spare blocks instead of using the bad blocks again).

> > > I successfully installed onto a replacement drive, but for whatever
> > > reason, I can't get the network functioning--even after copying /etc
> > > and /lib from the old system (freebsd can't reach the network, either).
> > >  It's a tulip card, and we have a single incoming ip with switches
> > > rather than real subnets (ie, I talk directly to *.*.1.1 as my router).
>
> > Is the kernel and all its modules properly copied over?
>
> they should be.  I did a clean install onto this disk.  The old disk
> ran for months with the stock kernel.  When it wouldn't talk to the
> network, I cp -R'd /etc and /lib from the old drive.

A puzzler, something else might be involved.  Does the network work with
the old drive?

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
How the Internet explodes myths...