Re: disabling remount ro on errors

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 12:06:12PM -0600, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu wrote:
> OK, I know I'm playing with fire here, but I'm backed into a corner.
> Yesterday was the first sunday in a month that my hardrive didn't
> switch to ro due to errors on the weekly cron run. The remount as ro
> both stops incoming mail, and makes it impossible to telnet in to fix
> it.

Did you run fsck on the filesystem?  The cron job triggering the problem
might be something like updatedb that touches everything on the disk.
Fix the filesystem and the problem will go away.

> I successfully installed onto a replacement drive, but for whatever
> reason, I can't get the network functioning--even after copying /etc
> and /lib from the old system (freebsd can't reach the network, either).
>  It's a tulip card, and we have a single incoming ip with switches
> rather than real subnets (ie, I talk directly to *.*.1.1 as my router).

Is the kernel and all its modules properly copied over?

> If I edit out the "remount=ro" from /etc/fstab, and remove the weekly
> cron file, is my system likely to keep running?  I know I'm playing
> with fire, but the remount is catastrophic.

So is continuing with the errors.

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
A 'box' is something that accomplishes a task -- you feed in input and