Re: Modem does not work

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, dyer wrote:

> > >That says it all. Speakerphone Modem = Winmodem. Take it back and get a
> > >real modem.
> > >--
> >
> > Now I have an "Supra 2260 PCI Modem Enumerator/Supra Max 56i Voice
> > PCI" (dual personality!?), but no luck ... :(
> >
> > It is an internal PCI modem, Windows says that it is on COM3, IRQ10,
> > so it should be in /dev/ttyS3, but I only have two serial connections
> > working,
> >

> I think you bought another winmodem. To expand on the last response, I would go by
> the _general_ rule:
> PCI Modem = Winmodem
PCI modem with the string `HCF' in the description under Windows =
Winmodem
PCI modem listed as `comm controller' in any BIOS verbosity might be a
real modem. Currently, AFAIK, PCI serial support is in the unstable 2.3.x
kernels, but there is a backport for a couple devices in 2.0.38

> Real Modem = External Modem
Not if it's a USR Sportster. While 3com/USR supports installing their
Sportster modems on UNIX systems and give step-by-step configuration for
Sparcstations, they only support using them under Windows 9x or MacOS.
They work pretty well, but they're a pain to upgrade if you need new
firmware.