Re: SB PCI 128

Ian Stirling wrote:

> Jon Hughes wrote:
>
> > has anyone managed to get a SB PCI 128 to work?  any
> > help would be appreciated, thanks
>
> PCI 128 cards come in various types. I used a Gateway
> OEM version which has an es1373 on it. The es1371
> driver works. You might have to use the es1370 driver
> depending on what's on your card.
>
> For the es1371 driver, add the following lines to
> /etc/conf.modules
>
> alias char-major-14 es1371
> alias sound es1371
>
> That's all I had to do on my slink system.
>
> I sent my Gateway OEM card back though because it was
> incompatible with Creative's Windows applications!
> ( had a bit of a dispute with them but it worked out
> in my favour ).  I replaced it with a retail version
> of the SB Live Platinum.
>
> Ian

This is Kent, not Jon.

I have had problems with my ES1371. Have wrestled with it off-an-on for half a year.
I can get some sound, but it's scratchy and unreliable, kind of like if an IRQ is set
wrong. I'm new enough to Linux to be green with such things, but when I looked in my
/etc/conf.modules, I saw the following entry:
alias char-major-14 soundcore

I did not see the entries you mentioned. So I put those entries that you mentioned
in, and commented out the "soundcore" entry already in the file. Then I did a "rmmod
es1371" and "rmmod soundcore", then did "insmod sound" and got a message that the
sound module was not found."

So I undid all my changes and will ignore sound capabilities for another few weeks
until it becomes more important to me again, unless of course you have a suggestion
that might solve my problem.

Thanks!