SB PCI 128

I'm assisting my brother with getting his sound
working in Slin.  he has a SB PCI 128 sound card.  The
kernel (2.2.12) does appear to detect it using one of
hte ES drivers (the exact number escapes me, sorry),
and the devices are all there.

When i type play soundclip.wav, the computer appears
to attempt to play it, but no sound comes back and it
just hangs, giving me no prompt unless I CTRL-C out of
it.

has anyone managed to get a SB PCI 128 to work?  any
help would be appreciated, thanks

Jon

=====
"God, Root. What is the difference?"