Re: streaming audio? (Re: wav <-> conversion utility)

* Frank Barknecht <barknech@ph-cip.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> The fastest LAME-spinoff I know is <a
> href="http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~shigeo/soft/gogo2/";> GOGO </a>,
> that is optimized by using 3DNow, MMX and ISSE assembler. About 4 times
> faster than LAME at the same quality.

Why does it say I should combine the -v option (which enables
variable bitrate) with the -b option (which sets contant bitrate)?
Seems contradictory to me... Or is this the average bitrate? In any
case, with this option, XMMS' bitrate meter doesn't change anymore
while reporting it as VBR in the file info.

Colin