Re: Error messages using Iomega ZIP

> But I would make one recommendation, in spite of your saying that
> minor errors don't matter in text files. I don't put any ordinary
> files on zip disks at all. Everything is zipped. That way, you can
> type something like      for z in /zip/*zip; do unzip -t $z; done
> and check they're all ok.

My favorite method for this is to run

    $ find ./ -type f -exec md5sum {} \; > md5sums

in a directory before copying it (burning to CD, writing to zip, etc.).
Then just do:

    $ find ./ type f -exec md5sum {} \; | diff md5sums -

I've found that md5sum does a pretty exhaustive scan through a file
and it'll find CD write errors.  I don't know if it actually searches
every byte / block though.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc