Re: apt-get upgrade

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 07:19:55PM -0500, Rick Knebel wrote
> Hi,
> I have used apt-get upgrade to successfully upgrade alot of my programs.
> I keep getting this message that The following programs were held back though.
> They all have to do with gnome and I really want to upgrade them.
> Is there a reason for this and how can I fix it.

apt-get upgrade won't do anything that would require removing a package
without replacing it with another (of the same name?).

Try going apt-get -s install <some package being held back>
to see what apt-get thinks is required to upgrade it.  If you're
happy with what it wants to do, run it again without '-s'.
apt-get dist-upgrade will go further than apt-get upgrade in
this, but from memory it will still not do anything that requires
removing a package.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au