xconsole placement

I have a line in my ~/.fvwm2/init.hook file,

+ "I" exec xconsole -geometry 480x130+297+434 -bg gainsboro -exitOnFail
-dae -notify -file /dev/console

These are the permissions,

~$ l /dev/xconsole
prw-rw-rw-   1 root     adm          1951 Dec  7 00:10 /dev/xconsole|

At any rate with this setup, xconsole appears on my screen for a second
and then winks out.  I've looked through the various xdm files and found
a place (/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources) it looked like geometry could be
controlled but when I changed the geometry nothing happened at all even
when I commented out the line, "XConsole.text.geometry: 480x130".  The
geometry I assigned xconsole and want, is "480x130+297+434."  With this
geometry it would stay on my screen.  Otherwise the way it is it goes
out of view when I deiconify it.  Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks,
kent