Re: apt-get upgrade

Rick Knebel wrote:

> Hi,
> I have used apt-get upgrade to successfully upgrade alot of my programs.
> I keep getting this message that The following programs were held back though.
> They all have to do with gnome and I really want to upgrade them.
> Is there a reason for this and how can I fix it.

Hey Rick,

from the apt users guide (located in /usr/doc/apt/):

  Whenever the whole system is being upgraded there is the
possibility
  that new versions of packages cannot be installed because they
require
  new things or conflict with already installed things. In this case
the
  package will appear in the Kept Back list. The best way to
convince
  packages listed there to install is with `apt-get install' or by
using
  `dselect' to resolve their problems.

To install them, just run apt-get install <package1>,
[<package2>...]

hth

 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (