Re: Undo in dselect

> Hi,
>
> I'm back to debian after a couple of years with Redhat/Mandrake. What
> triggered the change was the possibility to upgrade certain packages,
> without having a to perform a full reinstall. Anyway, here is my
> question:
>
> How do I safely revert to a previous status. To be specific: I
> installed a few packages from the unstable branch, which required
> upgrading certain others. I now want to go back: deinstall these
> "unstable" packages, and downgrade the others. I know precisely which
> status I want (say /var/lib/dpkg/status.yesterday.3.gz). So I
> imagined to replace /var/lib/dpkg/status with this uncompressed file.
> Then dselect shows only my old selections, but it completely forgot
> what was really installed. So I suppose this is really a dangerous
> point to start with.

Perhaps by trying to diff the uncompressed /var/lib/dpkg/status.yesterday.3.gz
with current /var/lib/dpkg/status and running dpkg --downgrade (do not sure
the exact option)?

> Any help very welcome!
>
> On a similar tone: is there a way to undo the selection process in
> dselect. I suppose I am not the only one to have lost the opportunity
> to scan through  "new" packages, by hitting return one time too much.
>
> All in all, an undo function would be very reassuring. Looking back,
> this is what really makes me nervous when I start dselect (together
> with those bloody messages that are lost forever after a couple of
> screens...).

IIRC there are more then one way. Try hitting ? and look for k (for keys?), for example. Isn't X (Capital X) does what you want?