Re: source build cluelessness (prc-tools && pppd)

Jonathan Lupa <jjlupa@jamdata.net> wrote:

>I have had problems building a number of packages now, and am hoping
>Problem 1. prc-tools.
>I created a /usr/local/src/prc-tools, and ran dpgk-source to create
>the appropriate subdirectory.
>I go to the subdirectory and run debian/rules.
>This seems to do all the extraction and build binutils and
>gcc... then:

prc-tools is the palm pilot stuff right ? I haven't compiled them but
can give you general advice.
First get apt-get.
Then you can use
	apt-get -s install prc-tools
to see what packages prc-tools depend on.
Alternatively you can use dselect or grep the file /var/lib/dpkg/available.
You might want to check also
	apt-get -s source prc-tools
To be sure there is source available (well in this case you have it already..)

To build packages I've always used the command
	debian-buildpackage -b -uc
in the directory the source is extracted. I suppose it's a script that
gets your environment "right".

>OK, Problem 2. ppp. My goal here is to take ppp 2.3.5 (the slink

I understand that to compile ppp you need pam. (libpam, libpam-dev etc)
Again check with
	apt-get -s install
or from the file /var/lib/dpkg/availabe or using dselect.

Building source packages requires quite a lot of libraries and header files
and until you have them, compiling will fail. The frustrating part
is that ./configure does not always tell you what you need, instead
compiling goes on a long time before stopping because of some header is
not found...

Have fun ;)