Re: Using Computer Modern PS fonts with LaTeX?

At 08:05 PM 12/6/99 +0100, Colin Marquardt wrote:
>* Eric G Miller <egm2@jps.net> writes:
>
>> If you don't need them to be CMR fonts (which I don't think Acrobat can
>> display well), try '\usepackage{times}'. That'll give you Postscript 1
>> fonts. Since AcroReader only understands 11 fonts, *only* Times Roman,
>> Helvetica, Courier [New?], and Zapf Dingbats will render well on the
>> display (though bitmap fonts print fine in my experience). The only
>
>That assumes one is going the ps2pdf route (which uses gs).
>Hopefully, gs 6.0 will remove that limitation, but that is not
>entirely clear.  (Just to state that this is not a limitation of the
>PDF format...)  pdftex (and, AFAIK, dvipdfm) work fine with
>non-standard fonts.

Ah. I missed part of this conversation. So if I use Slink gs then I am
doomed to lousy PDF files with anything but Times and friends? Now I
understand.....

>Another zero $ solution is VTeX from Micropress, which is free
>(beer sense) for Linux. It has a PS interpreter built in and can
>thus embed EPS figures natively (as opposed to pdflatex, where
>one needs epstopdf, which in turn uses gs, with the mentioned
>drawbacks for fonts in figures).

The EPS problem is the main reason I wasn't using pdfLaTeX. Sounds like
epstopdf might be just what I need. Thanks.

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>
Center for Ludic Synergy:        <http://www.ludism.org/>