Re: Using Computer Modern PS fonts with LaTeX?

* Eric G Miller <egm2@jps.net> writes:

> If you don't need them to be CMR fonts (which I don't think Acrobat can
> display well), try '\usepackage{times}'. That'll give you Postscript 1
> fonts. Since AcroReader only understands 11 fonts, *only* Times Roman,
> Helvetica, Courier [New?], and Zapf Dingbats will render well on the
> display (though bitmap fonts print fine in my experience). The only

That assumes one is going the ps2pdf route (which uses gs).
Hopefully, gs 6.0 will remove that limitation, but that is not
entirely clear.  (Just to state that this is not a limitation of the
PDF format...)  pdftex (and, AFAIK, dvipdfm) work fine with
non-standard fonts.

Another zero $ solution is VTeX from Micropress, which is free
(beer sense) for Linux. It has a PS interpreter built in and can
thus embed EPS figures natively (as opposed to pdflatex, where
one needs epstopdf, which in turn uses gs, with the mentioned
drawbacks for fonts in figures).

> caveat I'm aware of with using Postscript 1 fonts, as opposed to the
> default CMR fonts is scaling for math equations might produce funky
> results. I don't do much for equations, so don't know.

Times math fonts can be faked with the mathptm package, but it is
really only a fake. There is a silimar solution for Palatino, which
I'd choose in favour of Times (which has this M$ Word appeal).

Cheers,
  Colin