Using Computer Modern PS fonts with LaTeX?

I've discovered that the Slink pdflatex doesn't do everything I'd like it
to do, so I'm trying to force LaTeX proper to incorporate Computer Modern
Type 1 fonts into its PostScript files for conversion to PDF later.

I have all the Blue Sky fonts, and pdflatex uses them, but LaTeX still uses
the ugly Type 3 CM fonts. Everything I have read about this problem
suggests that I need to make a trivial change to psfonts.map to get this to
work, but I don't seem to have a psfonts.map file. Is my installation
broken, or is this standard for Debian?

Any help with getting Type 1 CM fonts to work with LaTeX will be much
appreciated.

Ron H-E

--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>