Re: Using Computer Modern PS fonts with LaTeX?

At 07:47 PM 12/6/99 +0100, Colin Marquardt  wrote:

>* Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@apocalypse.org> writes:
>
>> I've discovered that the Slink pdflatex doesn't do everything I'd like it
>
>What are the features you are missing?

It won't include EPS files, and lays out some files in a broken way
completely unlike LaTeX proper.

>> I have all the Blue Sky fonts, and pdflatex uses them, but LaTeX still uses
>> the ugly Type 3 CM fonts.
> ...snip...
>However, the thing that makes it work for *me* are the following lines
>in /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ps:
>
>| % Uncomment the following two lines to use Postscript Type1 fonts
instead of
>| % bitmap fonts for computer modern & co.
>| p +bsr.map
>| % p +bakomaextra.map % "real" bakoma instead of interpolated bsr
>| p +bsr-missing-interpolated.map % this one *or* the previous one. Not both!
>| p +hoekwater.map

OK, I did this and I'm still getting ugly fonts in my PDF file via ps2pdf.
But I noticed that if I use, say, utopia.sty, I still get ugly fonts, and
Utopia only comes as a PS Type 1 font, doesn't it?

Could I be mistaken about what is causing the ugly fonts? Is it something
other than a Type 1 problem? pdfLaTeX produces lovely fonts, so I know
"pretty" versions of the CM fonts can be included with a PDF file.

For an example of what I mean by "ugly fonts", see
<http://www.ludism.org/rpg/osprey_ugly.pdf>. This was produced using the
suggested fix above.

Thanks for your help, Colin.

Ron