Re: Why

I don't think people should concentrate too much on making the installer
easier, at least with the people *I* know they very rarely reinstall
windows and those that do always need help.

case in point a co worker just got his first pc a couple weeks ago(with
advice from me he got an athlon 550 from cybermax) with win98se on it.  He
got a gravis gamepad, which specifically said don't plug the controller in
before you install the drivers, well guess what :) he didn't do that and
ended up working with it for a few hours before calling tech
support.  Then he spent(with my help) a few days with multiple video
drivers trying to get quake3 working on his savage 4. finally after
upgrading the opengl stuff would it run.  linux may be hard to install but
from what i see win9x is still far from 'easy'.  At the same time I see
linux aiming to replace winNT rather then replacing win9x.  People say
people wouldn't use linux at home..well i only know very few people that
use NT at home, most of those are using some form of *nix as well be it
linux or *BSD.

saw a mac install once, looked nice.  but at the same time they dont have
a tenth(or even a hundredth?) amount of hardware to support, and with
their closed arch. its quite easy to ensure compadiblity.

i believe the key to linux expansion is pre installed machines. users will
be very hesitant to change their OS from something that works for them,
even if it means upgrading from win95 to win98 or nt or win3 to
win9x. this isnt something that can be blamed on linux but on installing
any other OS.

my 0.02

nate