Need some help with a Install.

Okay im very green.  So green that the grass is jelous.  So with that in
mind here is my problems:

I am trying to install a program called Qpage.  Everything i have comments
about is in <> brackets. After downloading it, here are the instructions
that are given that i dont understand (This is the complete instructions):

Installation instructions for QuickPage v3.3:

1) Make sure you have the latest version.  The latest version of QuickPage
can be found at http://www.qpage.org/
    	<Alright i have done this part.  Got the most recent version in .tar
format and extracted it to a folder that i made.  Not a specific folder and
not sure if it needs to be either>

2)  Edit config.input as appropriate and type "./configure" in this
directory.
 	<When i first did this it wouldnt make the executables.  Come to find out
I didnt have a GCC.  So then i went and got the GCC, well then it still
wouldnt work, but was closer to it then before.  Then a friend of mine told
that i needed a lib6 file so i got that and now it appears to work.  I think
I have done this part correctly>

3)  Type "make" to build the QuickPage binary, or type "make client" for a
stripped down client-only version.
	<Alright I did this and it appears to work.  Not sure if it was suppost to
do anything special.  Im still operating out of the folder i made in step
1...afriad that im doing that part wrong for some reason.>

4)  Install qpage and qpage.man in appropriate directories.
	<Okay here is where we get totaly lost.  What are the appropriate
directories.  And when it says install isnt it just saying to mv the files?
Also why would the appropriate directories be the directories to put them
in? what is the signifigance?>

5)  Create a run-time configuration file.  See the man page for complete
details on the syntax of the file.
	<Right now there is no man page for the command because its not working.
im thinking this is part of what was done with step 4, but have no clue.>

6)  Edit the appropriate system startup file to start a QuickPage daemon
process when the system boots.
	<Uh....okay.  Have not a single clue on this!  What does this mean?  Im
more familar with NT and im thinking this means to create a service for the
program so it will automaticaly start when booting....how the heck to I do
this?>

Well thats it in a nutshell :)
Am i lost? Yes, but im finding my way through the woods.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

PS...Can I borrow a chainsaw?  To find my way through the woods...not for
the computer honestly :)