Re: Why

aphro wrote:

> i believe the key to linux expansion is pre installed machines. users will
> be very hesitant to change their OS from something that works for them,
> even if it means upgrading from win95 to win98 or nt or win3 to
> win9x. this isnt something that can be blamed on linux but on installing
> any other OS.

When I got my first computer (an i386) I had to install DOS and
Windows on it. Today, most, if not all, systems come preconfigured.
A lot of people I know have bought their first computer within the
last year. They'd be hard pressed to install Win98. In fact, I've
helped my neighbor re-install once, and I think another is on the
horizon, cuz he's complaining about a bunch of weird stuff.

Actually, they are a little tenuous when it comes to installing new
software.

Maybe we can attribute it to the dumbing down of society.

 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (