Re: Trying to install X-windows

On Sat, 1999-12-04 at 17:57:00 -0700, csager wrote:

====================== snip ==============================

> I have run XFR86Config, but when I type the command:
> startx
> I get so many error messages that scroll by my screen so
> fast that I don't know what all the problems are.
> Is there a way to get all of the error message into a file
> so that I can make a reasonable attempt at solving my
> problem? Or possibly a way to step through the errors so
> that I can at least write them down?  Are there any packages
> I missed?

They may not be all error messages.
The X server, when it starts up, spits out a large number of status messages.
The precise number depends on your X configuration (e.g., number of modes);
I get roughly 75 when I start up, with only 1 mode.

If you use startx or xinit these messages go to the originatng virtual console;
if you use xdm, they go to /var/log/xdm.log
(this is set in the configuration file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config).

Keith