hdparm, saving settings

*Please cc all replies to me, as I'm not subscribed to the list currently*
I am using potato, with an ATA/33 HD (Quantum Fireball, 8.4 gig).

Whenever I restart my system, hdparm yields this:

# hdparm -c -k -d /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)

Then, I issue the following command, which gives me this:

# hdparm -c 1 -k 1 -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 1
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 setting keep_settings to 1 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  1 (on)

I can tell it works since hdparm -t /dev/hda is faster, etc.

However, whenever I reboot, the settings are lost, and it goes back to the
original settings.

I thought '-k' was supposed to tell hdparm to save settings?

What is going on? FWIW, should I be running hdparm in single user mode? I
usually just run it from an xterm, but there have been no ill-effects thus
far.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Conway
neilconway@home.com