dselect Install

Hi all.  Searched the archives and checked out the dselect tutorial, but
couldn't find a satisfactory answer.  I installed Debian 2.1 a couple of days
ago, and now want to install the suggested development packages.  I get the
package list through apt just fine, and was able to download (through dselect)
80MB of the ~130MB I needed.  At this point, the connection was reset and the
install stopped.  So if I run install again, will it re-download the 80 megs?
When I run configure, it only lasts a second or two and exits.  Does that mean
all packages in the 80 megs are now installed and configured?  Where do the .deb
files get downloaded to?  How about the executables?

Alot of questions, so thanks in advance...