Re: LPRng Printing Problem (no remote printing)

Hello,

i use this thread since it is alive to report my own problem, having problems
with remote printing and standard lpd (the jobs were stored on the server with
a uid/gid that the lpd daemon couldn't retreive, filling my var completely up
blocking other services as mail etc...) i tryyed to switch to this new type of
service...

i thought having configured it correctly, putting on the local side
lp|erm1|remote:\
        :lp=lp@erm1.u-strasbg.fr

on the server making abstraction of all the comments i have in /etc/lpd.perms:
ACCEPT SERVICE=C SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
ACCEPT SERVICE=C LPC=lpd,status,printcap
REJECT SERVICE=C
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SAMEHOST SAMEUSERACCEPT SERVICE=M SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
REJECT SERVICE=M
DEFAULT ACCEPT

and in the printcap the same block as for standard lpd:
lp|hplj4l|HP Laserjet 4L:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj4l:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4m-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
(BTW it is in fact a laserjet 5l.... but it works...)

printing directly from the server works perfectly, trying to print from a
client gives:
localhost:~$ lpr 1.doc.txt
Status Information:
 sending job 'bboett@localhost+485' to lp@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer lp@localhost
 error 'LINK_TRANSFER_FAIL' sending str '^Blp' to lp@localhost
 job 'bboett@localhost+485' transfer to lp@localhost failed

the client in this case is my laptop (thus the name is not defined.., but the
ip is....)

i prepared a line REJECT SERVICE=X NOT REMOTEIP=130.79.74.0/255.255.255.0 to
reduce access to only our subcircuit, but at the moment apart from the server
nobody is able to print on it anyways..... so what's wrong????

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net