Re: Problems with Asus P2B-DS/350 and double PIII 450

> Hello!
>
> I have a dual Pentium III 450 system with an Asus P2B-DS/350 main board,
> in which I removed everything but the floppy drive and the IDE CD-Rom,
> master on the second channel.
>
> The standard Debian boot disk hangs probing the Adaptec SCSI card bundled
> in the main board; I tried making custom boot kernels with 2.2.13 and
> everything hangs asking if I have a color monitor.

The standard boot disk hangs when the aic7xxx driver is probing, isn't
it?  It's a known problem; some alternative boot floppies (the Rescue
disk, and the Driver disk) are available here:

http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/slink/5.1.19

[...]
> Is there some known problem with Linux and this Asus mainboard, or with
> double Pentium III?

With the Asus mainboard, no.  With a dual PIII, yes.  The standard kernel
included with Debian (2.0.36) has horrible support for dual anything.
Immediately upgrading to the latest 2.2 (2.2.13 at this writing) is a
_very_ good idea.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein