Problems with Asus P2B-DS/350 and double PIII 450

Hello!

I have a dual Pentium III 450 system with an Asus P2B-DS/350 main board,
in which I removed everything but the floppy drive and the IDE CD-Rom,
master on the second channel.

The standard Debian boot disk hangs probing the Adaptec SCSI card bundled
in the main board; I tried making custom boot kernels with 2.2.13 and
everything hangs asking if I have a color monitor.

I'm trying to build the smallest possible 2.2.13 boot kernel for that
server, but I have no idea what could be the cause.

Is there some boot problem HOWTO or some other source of information about
problems booting linux or hardware problems with Linux in general? Windows
NT boots, installs and seems to work fine.

Is there some known problem with Linux and this Asus mainboard, or with
double Pentium III?

TIA, Enrico