Re: Botting a Mylex DAC960 RAID controller

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Try `mem=256M' instead.
> Please let me now how the Mylex performs ...

No luck: the installation keeps hanging asking about colors.

I can't see why syslinux reports having less than 608Kb of base memory.
Well, I *can* see why, since the base memory is in fact less than 608Kb (I
tried to also boot with a dos floppy, and the results are the same), but I
don't know who's eating that ram.

I'm trying with a RedHat 6 (The server will need Debian, anyhow), and I
had more luck: it didn't require a custom kernel and had a module for the
DAC960.  It seems to hang, however, when formatting the drives, when a
disk is reported dead. Perhaps we have also a problem with the disks,
we'll see.  Redhat installation hangs when formatting/mounting.

I'd need more data on that base memory requirement complained by syslinux.

Anyway, DAC960 seems to be a good controller, and Linux support seems to
be the good Linux support I always found with Mylex devices.  I'll be able
to tell more that impressions when I'll be able to have it running.

					   Read you soon! Enrico