Re: Botting a Mylex DAC960 RAID controller

* Enrico Zini (zinie@CS.UniBO.IT) [991122 13:56]:
> I'm trying with a RedHat 6 (The server will need Debian, anyhow), and I
> had more luck: it didn't require a custom kernel and had a module for the
> DAC960.  It seems to hang, however, when formatting the drives, when a
> disk is reported dead. Perhaps we have also a problem with the disks,
> we'll see.  Redhat installation hangs when formatting/mounting.

TurboLinux has the ability to install on a DAC960.
(www.turbolinux.com: Get only the *server* boot/extrawh floppies,
Workstation only has RAID on the CDROM)

I'd be happy to explain what we did to make the installer work:
* dac960 is a module
* /dev/rd* automagically mknod'd for partitioning
* mkinitrd run to make sure the module is available

Of course, you have to pre-build the RAID device with the Mylex
tools.

However, it seems like more is wrong than a simple install problem.

Wish you luck!

Ciao!

        (also: docwhat@turbolinux.com)

--