Maelstrom?

The sound in Maelstrom is very patchy with the following
error message repeated in the gaps ..

"Mixer: Can't write to audio device: Resource temporarily unavailable"

I do not think it has anything to do with the driver
for the sound card because the same problem occurred
on an older machine with a different sound card.
I used to run Maelstrom successfully on Redhat 4.1
( 2.0.x ) kernel, and I think the problem started
when I switched to slink.  Has anyone seen this
problem and solved it?

Ian Stirling