Re: Virtual consoles in slink; somewhat updated

On 22 Nov 1999, Mike Werner wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> <snip>
> > This gives me 5 terminals. X comes out in the terminal "above" the one
> > you use for startx; I do this in the last terminal (5) and X is in 6. I
> > believe it is possible to have 64 terminals in all.
>
> Not quite.  X will come out in the VC one higher than the last one that is
> defined in your inittab, no matter which VC you do startx from.  For
> example, I often do startx from VC 1.  And since I have 6 VCs defined in
> my inittab X comes up in VC 7.  In fact, no matter which VC I do startx
> from X will come up in VC 7.
>
> I'm not sure what happens if, for instance, one user was to startx from,
> say, VC 1 and then another user, for example root, was to do startx from
> another VC.  Would that start another X on VC 8?  I think I'll have to try
> that next time I'm on my slink box.
> --

Yes, quite right. What I was thinking of was that the terminal you start
from is effectively out of use as long as  X is running because it
contains the starting-up stuff. You can also kill X from that terminal.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky"  - Louis MacNeice