Re: Virtual consoles in slink; somewhat updated

Quoting Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk):

> Yes, quite right. What I was thinking of was that the terminal you start
> from is effectively out of use as long as  X is running because it
> contains the starting-up stuff. You can also kill X from that terminal.

I use a shell function (which tidies away the output and makes it
available for debugging) and I type     startx &     which leaves the
VC available for use. (Of course, you can always ^Z and background it.)

$ type startx
startx is a function
startx ()
{
    echo Starting X \(information in \$HOME/.startx.stderr\);
    /usr/bin/X11/startx 2>$HOME/.startx.stderr
}

Cheers,