/etc/syslog/conf

I saw this nifty little command at Linux.com and I thought I would give
it a try.  It reroutes log information to tty12.  The command was,
echo '*.* /dev/tty12' >/etc/syslog.conf

The file now looks like this,

~$ cat /etc/syslog.conf
*.* /dev/tty12

I didn't realize that it would become "permanent" and wipe out my
xconsole info.  At any rate I was wondering if someone could send me
their default Slink /etc/syslog.conf file?  I read through the various
man pages but there didn't seem to be a default that I could see.  I
looked in dselect for a syslog package but couldn't find one.  I was
thinking I could delete and reinstall on my system to get it back to the
way it was.  If that is a good option which package is this in?  I see
from the archives there are many setups which is interesting and I'd
like to play with it later but right now I just want things back the way
they were.  Also is there a way to start the syslog running after
changes without rebooting?
Thanks,
kent