Re: /etc/syslog/conf

On 21/11/99 ktb wrote:

I saw this nifty little command at Linux.com and I thought I would give
it a try.  It reroutes log information to tty12.  The command was,
echo '*.* /dev/tty12' >/etc/syslog.conf

The file now looks like this,

~$ cat /etc/syslog.conf
*.* /dev/tty12

the command was probably supposed to be echo '*.* /dev/tty12' >> /etc/syslog.conf notice the 2 >> that means append, just one > means overwrite.

I didn't realize that it would become "permanent" and wipe out my
xconsole info.  At any rate I was wondering if someone could send me
their default Slink /etc/syslog.conf file?  I read through the various
man pages but there didn't seem to be a default that I could see.  I
looked in dselect for a syslog package but couldn't find one.  I was
thinking I could delete and reinstall on my system to get it back to the
way it was.  If that is a good option which package is this in?  I see
from the archives there are many setups which is interesting and I'd
like to play with it later but right now I just want things back the way
they were.  Also is there a way to start the syslog running after
changes without rebooting?

just reinstall the syslogd package (or is it sysklogd) that should give you the option of overwriting your config file with the packaged one, as far as rebooting you don't need to just do /etc/init.d/syslogd restart (or is it sysklogd...)

if reinstalling the package won't touch your config file you could extract the .deb manually and grab the file yourself i suppose.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/