Re: /etc/syslog/conf

[19:07:49 /tmp]$ dpkg -S /etc/syslog.conf
sysklogd: /etc/syslog.conf
[19:09:26 /tmp]$

Therefor, unpacking the sysklogd package and taking /etc/syslog.conf from it
should get you back the config file. But I am not sure that other packages
do not change it to suit there needs.

If I am not mistaken then /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart would restart the
logging facilities without the need to reboot.