ethernet card irq

I`ve been trying to communicate with a Win95 machine via thin ethernet but can`t seem to ping from or to either machine. Noticeably if I try to ping from the win95 box I can see the network card lights working as it attempts to connect, but from Linux no lights appear at all. The card (at1700BT plus)is detected at boot time but on checking dmesg I saw the following:

eth0: transmit timed out with status 8180, IRQ conflict?
eth0: timeout registers: 8180 8182 0106 e85a d920 0000 8080 4000.

Also the value for eth0 doesn`t seem to change in  cat /proc/interrupts as I believe it should after I attempt to ping (?)
Should I try to change the irq of the card (from 5 to 11 maybe?) and if so what would be the best way to do this? Also are there any other ways to check if my network card is working properly? Simple answers please,I`m fairly new to Debian and know very little about networking.

Many Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *