Re: ethernet card irq

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 03:29:36PM +0000, paul.walton@dial.pipex.com wrote:
> eth0: transmit timed out with status 8180, IRQ conflict?
> eth0: timeout registers: 8180 8182 0106 e85a d920 0000 8080 4000.

What driver did you inclued in the kernel?
is it a module or inclued in the kernel?

> Also the value for eth0 doesn`t seem to change in  cat /proc/interrupts
> as I believe it should after I attempt to ping (?)

It seems normal, as your NIC isn't active ;),
what does ifconfig and route says?

> Should I try to change the irq of the card (from 5 to 11 maybe?)
> and if so what would be the best way to do this?

it could work.
what other cards have you got, on which IRQs?
what I/O addresses did you setup on the NIC?
(join a cat /proc/interrupts & /proc/ioports, with the
exact list of *all* devices installed (sound, hd, cd....)

> Also are there any other ways to check if my network card is
> working properly? Simple answers please, I`m fairly new to
> Debian and know very little about networking.

Usually ifconfig must return the correct address of the machine,
not 0.0.0.0, try it.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 The Macintosh is Xerox technology at its best.