Re: Upgrade from slink to potato causes things to stop working

Hello,
Did you install a new kernel when you upgraded to potato??  If so, did you install from
sources or from a kernel image?

I updated from slink to potato on my laptop at the weekend and had no real problems with
the upgrade.  However, I did make sure that I had all the packages I needed in order to
recompile my own kernel, especially the pcmcia module source package.

It sounds like some of the other problems you are having may be due to an unsuitable
kernel.

Bart Szyszka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having major problems upgrading from slink to potato (stable to
> unstable apt sources). After one of the packages is being setup, I get
> a whole list of stuff like this:
> depmod: /lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia SOMETHING.o is not owned by root
>
> Then after something related to PCMCIA gets installed, I get a shorter list
> of maybe eight /dev/tty* stuff not working with one of those being my mouse.
> What's going on? I've upgraded from slink to potato before without problems
> and with these last three times it's impossible. Now my network card, support
> for mounting vfat systems, and a lot of other things (again, the /dev/tty part
> where my mouse is) get disabled in the process. I *need* that network card
> because I have to have it for my Road Runner cable connection.
>
> This is incredibly frustrating because I've posted a message about this depmod...
> stuff a few days ago and didn't get any responses. I've said this before and I'll say it
> again: on the Red Hat mailing lists, as far as I could tell, *every* message gets at
> least one response. Here several posts get skipped over every day.

How can you actually tell this??  Considering the ammount of traffic on the debian mailing
list(s), it is impossible to see if all emails are answered (never mind if they are
answered usefully), unless of course you have days of spare time on your hands.  Does Red
Hat have so very little traffic on their maling lists ??

> Again, I haven't had problems with upgrading until the last three times that I tried
> it in the past week or so. Before that, the last time I had installed Debian was
> at least a month away from now. Probably closer to two months.

I have upgraded 3 machines (all different hardware configs) from slink (various different
levels of package installs) and have had very few problems.  The only thing I had was a
mild problem installing cron, as it detected a cron process still running that it could not
kill.  After killing this process cron (and all other dependancies) installed fine.

If you keep on having problems, make a backup of your data, install a minimum slink from
scratch (using the part of dinstall that asks you what kind of set up you require, I
selected basic).  Once this has installed, point apt (sources.list) at a suitable potato
mirror and do:

apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

Then install any other stuff that you need.

Hope this helps....
Johnny.